PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 5th Feb 2008, 11:28
JB007

PPRuNe Secret Agent!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...so with training the goal is to position yourself for when you qualify.
Thank you.

It is what it is, and you adjust...

These threads have been doing the rounds since the new year began and for those wanting a career as a pro pilot and cabable of reading through the doom and gloom speculation: Plan it very very carefully, the above quote say's it all, I would be cautious of throwing alot of money at an integrated course right now, consider the modular route, a "chunk" at a time. Be VERY aware of your position in the market place at all times i.e. Your job potential with <200 hours and a fATPL. Be aware of what the industry is doing, I was shocked during my CPL/IR when I met chaps who didn't know what a Turbo-Prop was or what a B737 looked like. This will help you to judge what the above quote is saying!

My company and the other large Charter operator in the UK (TCA) have both announced that any speculation of an economic downturn has not affected bookings for summer 2008; both are above forecast. Although my company has some major changes yet to come that may affect pilot numbers! Still a good time to be an experienced pilot, I would suspect CTC will continue to fill the gaps...

I trained modular throughout the aftermath of 9/11, finishing my exams in August 2001!!!! September 2001 changed everything, including having to take my shoes off before getting into my seat! I went back to work, did my CPL, went back to work, did my IR...got my first job on a turbo-prop 5 months after my IR test, never paid for a renewal because timing was everything! Now B757/B767...