PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 5th Feb 2008, 10:40
Caudillo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not so sure.

It's in the nature of people to be ego-centric and to have short term memories and outlooks. Hence you get anecdotal evidence of global warming.

ie. -15 years ago it snowed in winter, now it doesn't.
- It's caused by chelsea tractors and set-top boxes

Meaningful measures of climate cover geological eras, yet we persist in extraoplating from minute, human-scale time periods.

Same with economics. We tend to think in the immediate and emphasise what's important to us. So a bit of talk and data produce the same sort of screaming reaction for which journalists are traduced when they write "jet seconds from disaster". Of course it depends on what you consider a recession to be - but given the rather bleak scenarios I've read in this thread, let's assume it's fairly nasty rather than a slowdown or a slight dip - to extrapolate a big recession from any of the data in this thread is as valid as making climate observations based on 15 years of watching the weather.

Recessions are not permanent. A slowing of growth (imho) is inevitable - perhaps underway right now - but recovery and improvement is also inevitable. Do you train to be a pilot now or when you have the recovery? I buy stock when it's low and sell high, so with training the goal is to position yourself for when you qualify.