PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - average hours to go solo
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2008, 09:33
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 460 Likes on 243 Posts
Asking about what exercises had been done...that's a very good point. I'd be really interested to know too. So, for those of you who soloed in single digit hours, could you possibly post what exercises you'd done, and how long of each. Because I think you have to do at least a couple of hours of stall recovery.
Whirly, to be honest, as it was thirty five years ago, I can't remember. The exercise numbers are in my original logbook (well into volume 5 now) but I think the syllabus has changed a few times since (e.g. no spinning now, we did that quite early on) so quoting them here wouldn't prove anything.

Whirls, PFLs were taught but they involved landing on the runway, or straight ahead if that wasn't possible (EFATO). A helicopter won't often make the runway from the circuit so PFLs per se (off airfield) are given more priority earlier.

The RAF fixed wing syllabus put PFLs away from the circuit near the back of the book. My Bulldog instructor course development notes have them at chapter Y!