PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 5th Feb 2008, 08:47
Nichibei Aviation
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the company's not mine so I don't really have personal interests, and I could have signed up as "student" to hide the fact that I'm a NCB employee, but I didn't.

If you don't believe me all you need to do is google "pilot shortage" and you'll realise what's happening. Sources range from the less reliable to the most reliable.

But there's a way to prove what I'm telling you:
In December the Portuguese senate wanted to vote the 65 retirement age extension, pilots went on strike.
In January the US senate voted about the same thing.

All I'm saying is that too many students are not realistic and let themselves get caught by the "big dream". What they forget to do is to analyse before they start and complain afterwards.
I highly criticise FTO's who do not inform their students appropriately.
But I also do criticise irresponsible students who blaim it to the market instead of admitting their mistakes and blaming their FTO.
How many students have had the courage to send a letter to their FTO telling them that they can't find a job?

There's a market of around 3000 to 4000 pilots over the next 5 years in Europe, but unfortunately only 10 to 20% of that market will be open to 200 hours pilots.
If I were an airline I wouldn't put a 200 hour + TR + line training pilot on the right seat of a 50 million $ 737. It's not only about the airplane but about the entire airline's reputation.