PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wasps blamed for aborted Qantas takeoffs
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2008, 05:00
737pnf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qantas safety

From a big Virgin Blue supporter...

Why do we hear about Qantas and wasp infestations and 747 troubles, Jetstar and smoking engines and airspace collision scares, but never (or rarely) anything on Virgin Blue (and subsidiary companies)?

I worked for VB pit crew for 2 and a half years, and the only thing that was reported while I was there were two windscreen cracks that resulted in the aircraft returning to Brisbane Airport due decompression. This happened to a number of QF 73's that same year, and the heat stresses on the glass proved too much.

Are the Qantas group really so obsessed with their share price/profits and moving jobs overseas that they can't keep up on the basics? Surely if their share price is to grow, you'd need passengers to purchase the product? And I can't understand how they expect this to happen when safety issues further compound the problem of LCC's taking business from them?!

I feel the Australian Virgin model has it right - keep your staff happy. They'll come to work with GENUINE smiles, take less unaccountable leave. This results in fewer wage payouts (due noone being on sick leave), and the customer can literally see and feel the enthiusiasm, encouraging the customer (aka guest) to think VB for their next flight.