PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lear 35 crashes into houses in Sao Paulo
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2008, 02:33
Richard_Brazil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learjet crash was called by unbalanced fuel

One of the mysteries of the crash was why the jet turned to the right, while the usual flight path is to the left. The plane fell on the right wing.

I heard the causes from someone who had heard the black box, a few days before it hit the newspaper. The articles roughly follow the write-up I did at the time, so I'm not going to translate an article.

The transcription of the black-box of the Learjet has leaked. It seems that at the Learjet's hangar, cramped conditions make it hard to fill the left tank, which is in the left wing. The pilot's normal procedure was to fill the right tank, and pump fuel to the left tank while taxiing.

The co-pilot was new, had been with the pilot for only a month or two. While taxiing, the pilot was on his cell phone, and told the co-pilot to equalize the tanks. The co-pilot stated he was doing so. Arriving at the head of the runway, the co-pilot said the tanks were still not equal, and suggested they do a pre-flight check. The pilot said they were running late, and should just get going.

However, fuel had apparently not been transferred at all, and the right wing was 300 kg heavier than the left wing. That's why instead of the usual turn to the left, the plane turned to the right. There's apparently dialog to the effect that, "You son of a bitch, you didn't transfer fuel".

However, it does explain both the turn to right and the manner in which the Learjet fell.