PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2008, 18:08
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think people will soon start to grow tired of Ryanair / MOL's attitude and approach to customers/employees/suppliers.
Well, folk have been saying that for 10 years or so, now, without any sign of MOL changing his ways.

People have a miscoception about the meaning of the term 'LoCo'. It isn't low cost to the customer, it's low cost to the airline. Everything they do, from aircraft purchase through landing fees and handling costs are absolutely minimised and they gain the maximum use of everything 'sweating the assets' as the accountants would say (and do!) MOL is infamous for saying many things, among them being that he isn't a pilot, isn't in love with teh romance of flying, just wants to run the business for the maximum that can be extracted from it.

Incidentally, why be a Ryanair shareholder? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they've paid a single penny in dividend. If so, the ONLY reason for holding Ryanair stock must be the belief that the share price will go higher than you paid for it and you'll make some money eventually by selling them. If so, then who DOES benefit from Ryanair's activity?

a)Well, MOL, of course, rumoured to be a very rich man and his senior team.

b) The staff, OK, OK, I know, everyone thinks the way they are treated stinks, but they're all in paid jobs, some of them quite well paid and they can surely take their skills elsewhere.

c)The customers, I agree it isn't cheap to fly with Ryanair, see the above illustration, but millions and millions of people fly with them every year. If it was REALLY rubbish, then they'd have stopped by now. The communities where Ryanair fly to (you know, the deal where they say they're flying you to one place but take you somewhere not a million miles away, but it feels like it!).

d) Stansted. I don't believe anyone else would have made the growth happen there to quite the same extent.

e)Oh, and all those Boeing employees who would have been laid off without his order. If I were Boeing, I'd say 'well, he kept the line open for us, we struck a deal on the price, if he can make money out of it then good luck'.

I'm NOT a MOL apologist, I'm sure similar growth could have happened without the plain nasty public persona. Personally, I'd rather fly with EasyJet and if I never fly with Ryanair again I won't mind but as an ex-big-airport professional, I've got to kinda admire what they've done.

TheOddOne