PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2008, 15:25
pee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I understand your Finnish frustrations
Frustrations? At first, very spontaneously, I wanted to deny. I have no frustrations, no way. Being a well-paid guy, I do not need any lcc, no Ryanair or nobody else, to fulfill my needs. But after a while of pondering, I have to agree with you. Yes, I am somewhat frustrated indeed. Backing up - since many years - the inexpensive means of public transportation (in general, including flying of course), I have cheered the development of a new phenomenon, the emerging of low-cost carriers with O'Leary as a forerunner in Europe, no matter how harsh his methods might have been. He succeeded, and no-one can deny it. But now we see his strategy being watered by his LOCAL ambitions. To conquer UK/Ireland first, regardless of how big the opportunities elsewhere could be. They are doing so despite the fact that their tickets on some routes are being sold very cheaply just to get some punters interested a little bit more.
On the other side, I know the Finnish people; how disbelieving, skeptic and slow to react we are. A few low-cost (and alike) carriers have already tried to start here: Germanwings, Sterling, Clickair, Volare. And they had to retreat pretty soon. As weird as it could be, so far only FR has been able to break this mistrust towards "cheap fliers" (especially foreign ones). Remember the start period some years ago? It was so difficult to fill planes even on the Stockholm route, it had to be discontinued. Nowadays however Ryanair flights to Germany, STN, DUB, BGY are having very good load factors. Now when O'Leary's firm broke this skepticism, people have really started to expect some new destinations, became more excited and what? Nothing happened. No development at all. MOL prefers rather to keep some routes elsewhere with LF's below 40%(!!!) selling them for cents with obvious losses, but fails to recognize the chances further away from his home castle. It is really disappointing, and in this context shouldn't I be frustrated a bit?