PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UN Helicopters
Thread: UN Helicopters
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2008, 15:01
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
In all my UN experience we never had any rear crew.

Usually flew single pilot in Kuwait / Iraq ( UNIKOM ) except for night Medevac and also in Somalia (UNISOM) and Rwanda (UNAMIR). we flew dual pilot in Iraq while looking frantically for the legendary "Weapons of Mass Destruction"

We sometimes carried armed guards in Somalia and Rwanda and taught them how to open doors ect but they were not crew as such. Their job was to exit and protect the helicopter they were always the first out and last in. They were there to do that and that alone and any UN pax who told them to get their bags ect got a brief concise corrective interview on the spot.
Usually Indian Army in Somalia and Gurkas in Rwanda. Great guys but you had to be careful of the instructions you gave them. They were inclined to do exactly what they were told / asked / requested ( not being military I would not call it an order) to do. They usually took whatever you said as a direct order so you had to keep that in mind. "Stop everyone from approaching the helicopter" for example could lead to an armed standoff between a Gurka and a curious 3 year old waif. I do not think he would have actually hurt her but one wrong move and she would of had a bad day.
"Stop anyone dangerous from approaching." led to the question "But captain are they not all dangerous?" I miss them still.