PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF opposition to wind farms make The Times front page!
Old 4th Feb 2008, 14:25
Something witty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A supposedly experienced ex-RAF sqn ldr says the interference is nonsense.

"As a retired RAF officer this statement is crap, any "radar" that is interferred with by wind turbined would be swamped by ground returns in any case.
. . .
Any aircraft low flying these days fly routes or something like helo's have published information about TV masts , and wind turbines. Anyone not using them should not be flying."

Given the number of instances I have heard of new masts and entire windfarms 'appearing' without anything on the map, CALF or NOTAM I think this statement is a load of arrse!

Yes it should be 'up to date' legaly and the board will you if it isn't but its no good if the 'legal' information is inaccurrate in itself. As I understand it this deficiency is not entirely AIDU's fault, AFAIK there is a height AGL below which the obstruction does not need to be notified... and it is uncomfortably high

Given recent personal experience (unmarked extensive windfarm, fortunatly viewed from afar and ML, currently being looked at for inclusion) I would be reluctant to assume that my 'up to date' maps display all obstructions.

Not a comment on turbines and radar but...