PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2008, 11:42
HurnPax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerospace - please justify your continued assertion that Bournemouth is a "crap" base for Ryanair.

Ryanair have operated out of BOH for over 10 years and have a loyal existing customer base. The catchment area is wide stretching at least as far east as Portsmouth, north to Winchester and west to Exeter. This encompasses one of the wealthiest areas in the country outside of Greater London and possibly the Cheshire moneybelt. Many people with good disposable incomes for short leisure breaks, second homes abroad and a smaller market of potential business travellers.

It is a 2.5 hour journey to the nearest serious low cost alternative LGW with the only competition being the relatively expensive Flybe from Exeter and Southampton. Thomsonfly are allegedly unlikely to be operating a scheduled service from Bournemouth after this summer and Wizzair and Easy operate only a handful of routes between them so the opportunities are there for route expansion.

Yes there may have been more potentially lucrative bases further afield than BOH but Bournemouth is a solid and profitable airport for Ryanair and a realistic expansion of maybe 2 based aircraft with well chosen routes will always do well.

You can tell from my username I'm biased but tell me why Bournemouth is "crap" again?