PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Economic Downturn = No FI Vacancies?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2008, 11:10
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know we don't have a crystal ball but against this economic backdrop do you think this spells disaster for FI vacancies or the supposed FI shortage?

By October I will be popping out the system with an FI(R) and will be looking for employment. Ouch. Perhaps I should pull the plug on my dream and not bother with the CPL or FI(R) and just stick to flying as a hobby?

Any thoughts?
Yes!

Firstly, much depends upon where you want to work as an FI. If you're planning Cornwall or the Outer Hebrides, then not so good finding a job, anywhere around London or another large conurbation, much better.

Secondly, October is a long way away for accurate forecasts of PPL training demand.

Thirdly, NEVER forget that MOL has his own agenda and way of doing things. It might just suit his agenda to 'big up' a recession.

Fourthly, October isn't the best time to think of looking for FI work in any economic climate. I started in September and managed to get a few good weeks in before the Winter weather and lack of daylight intruded. A school might take you on on a 'get paid if you fly' basis but probably not on a salary until the Spring. They're going to give priority to their existing FIs. In any event, you normally start out doing trial lessons then convert them yourself into students. You might be lucky and pick up a few students from another instructor who has just left. If you're starting in October, be prepared for a lack of income until the Spring. That said, the relatively leisurely pace might suit to enable you to work on your instructing skills is a more measured way.

If you think you can cope financially, definitely go for it! As you may have read here and elsewhere, instructing will never make you rich. (Money-wise that is, riches beyond measure in other ways...)

TheOddOne