PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHL/LH to use B777
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2008, 07:47
alatnariver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It all will depends on the T&C offered. But rest assured even or especially due the deal between the German pilot's union and LTU as well as Air Berlin, a lot of the pilots at LTU are "not amused" by the management "style" adopted by Air Berlin.

There will be other German pilots currently in the sandpit, either former LTU pilots or others with a 777 TR, who might be interested to return back home for different reasons.

There might be also "older" guys who want to fly above 60. Getting older guys in and taking care of an well spread average age within the fleet is also an issue which might be of interest, as if you start with only DEC in their mid 40's there might be nearly no upgrades for about 20 years if the fleet size would not expand.

For a lot of non German's especially if you are older working in Germany and contributing to it's social security system might not be appealing. An option to base pilots off shore is not an option as it would be prpabbly not in line with the German law. So you will be taxed in Germany and you will have to pay your social contributions in Germany. A health insurance is mandatory and not cheap. The big drawback might be the pension.

The state pension system wont allow someone like me, I am in my late 30's, to retire at age 65 with the full pension, which is not much and would not even get close to what we earn as pilots. I would have to work up to 67 to be eligible for the full pension. However the pension is based on the years you and the employer contributed to the system. So, if you are let's say 45 and want to fly until 65 you have only 20 years, which in term is far away from being elegible for a full pension, as you miss years.

With these facts people have to take care of their private pesnion by different models, e.g. funds etc. to retain their social status after retirement. Well established companies offer supplementary pensions to fill the gap between the state pension and a certain level. But will a new company offer this? A question that might be answered if you get the T&C.

Just my 50 cents.