PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA-LAN-COPA No-Hire Agreement
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2008, 05:10
777RamAirTurbine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Bigger not always better...

PJ
You would think so, but... reality is, the current new OPS MNGR in LAN Peru is making life difficult there so many people motivated to go, but they don't want to leave their homes so would prefer just go to an Airline that does not burn their pilots up like LAN does on their domestic routes. But with the agreement that these guys have, it’s not possible. As English has become a subject (To be in LAN, Level 4 appears to be enough, to apply in TACA you need at least Level 5 and are expected to achive Level 6 within 2 Years!) so many won’t make the jump to the Asian Continent, and as they something like fly 6 days on, 24 hours off, studying has become a luxury. Not that some of them would use extra time to study...

Which one is better? Hmmm… pay wise I heard TACA, security wise, LAN. COPA? No clues here.

COPA, LAN and TACA are doing that on purpose, is a good tactic actually, from a business point of view. The practical part is, the ones that can leave, will leave, no question about it! But what does that do to the “Professional” Standard in the region? You ever heard of a good flight schools in that region? The majority fly first in the Air Force, then as a tradition they fly in the airlines… But do they become true professionals? Also, we all know how some Latinos are…

I hope the consequences to civil aviation will not be as high as the lives lost in aircraft accidents like in TANS Peru. There the “Military” Wanna-be’s screwed the pouch BIGTIME.

On a brighter note, there is a new addition to the Peruvian Airline Market. A few Months ago Primaris launched their new little sister, AirPeru. I saw their plane the other day here in Miami, really pretty. I was told by a Mech they fly at the moment with US Pilots until the Peruvians trained their own FO’s, and then Captain seats were to be given performance based by US Instructors. To lighten the mood, I heard a strong rumor the 8 FO’s that were sent to MIA for training returned disapproved, ALL 8! None of them were presented to the check rides, since the Instructors were not able to communicate themselves with their students to teach them how the 757 flies. And here is the Kicker: Those were former Captains (!!) on the 737 in TANS. As once again the military put their hands into the business, they became a cancer inside that Operation. I hope the big sister finds out what is going on and starts kicking some Butt and cutting some heads…

Oh well, all the feelings of being upset don’t help my colleagues down there, they will eventually find their way out. Still, I worked many years down there, and the S. American Operations Theater is elegant, romantic and beautiful. I guess all that is gone now and as the companies have been so egoistic, the airline employees have to start working for themselves as well.
I hope some companies go there to recruit more excellent pilots in that region. There are some really good young professionals there…

OH, By the way, Rumors also has it, LAN pilots throughout the ranks have failed to achive Level 4 English. A round of ... It's gotta suck flying Transcontinental Routes not beeing able to comunicate yourself with ATC unelss your Copilot speaks English. I can not imagine myself not knowing what is going on beeing dependent on a young punk in the right seat ...