PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - silly question for experienced engineer...
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 22:23
cessnasey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow... that bad?

theres a few things i cant understand. there are many threads that exist such as this one and theres even more people advising against getting involved in aircraft engineering. and how a plumber gets a better salary.

on previous threads iv read of some folks earning up to 70k a year, then theres others who find it hard to survive. the pay scale, clearly. varies tremendously.

one thing that confuses me is... if its that bad, why not quit? with "licenced aircraft mechanic" on you're CV im sure the BMW garage down the road, or the next one 2 miles away, will take you on with open arms!

this post isnt written intended with disrespect to fellow aviation enthusiasts/licenced engineers. or to question the advice given. i have a dream as you guys did once. i intend to experience it fist hand. if i find its not for me i shall move on and become a sparky. this way, atleast i wont wonder the rest of my life "what if?"

and, i still wonder how hard it would be to find work close to home. while i am not sure what route i shall take to get there. apprentice, foundation degree and so on il do whatevers available after completing each step. right now my maths and physics needs my attention. after that il move on the next step.

i dont mind working night shifts, working away every month or so, but i dont know if i could bare my 4 on 4 offs one week in exeter, one week in birmingham, one week manchester and so on. i wonder if generally, this is the life of an aircraft engineer. it is this the case?

i love general aviation also and would be just as happy working with cessna's and piper cherokee's! i think i am howard hughes re-icarnated he he.

i appreciate you're advice.

seyhan.