PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: AsA ATC staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 21:31
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Wellconcerned, you state:

I have no opinion [in this thread] one way or another on the merits or otherwise of the reforms you sought.
What a colossal cop out. Are you suggesting that TAAATS was to be implemented without any airspace changes – i.e. that we would have low level airspace below 12,500 feet being operated without any radar service at all?

What you have left out is that I was instrumental in purchasing the TAAATS system, and rather than design a unique system like RADREP (which never worked properly) it was decided we would purchase proven equipment and then use it with a proven airspace system – all pretty sensible. It tends to prevent “Collins Class Submarine” type stuff-ups.

I remember at the time there was pressure to buy Hughes equipment. Hughes had offered to design equipment especially to go with the Australian airspace system. As we know by hindsight, Hughes never got a civilian system going and tens of millions of dollars were lost in Canada and Switzerland because of this.

With your experience as an air traffic controller, surely you must have a view on my Unsafe Skies publication. (See here). Why is it that you haven’t made any comment on the fact that we have very good radar coverage at low level between Melbourne and Cairns, however we do not use it to prevent Controlled Flight Into Terrain accidents other than in the terminal area?

It is great to hear about the Platform Alpha accident and the Victorian gas explosion, but what about Benalla? You, as an experienced air traffic controller, must have been horrified that the system which is in place couldn’t assist in preventing such a needless accident. Remember, the pilot was some 11 miles off course and this was clearly shown on the radar.

Wellconcerned, I’m going to call your bluff. Why don’t you have an opinion on the merits of the airspace reforms as shown in Unsafe Skies? What part do you disagree with? Could it be the success I have recently had in moving the regulation and allocation of airspace from the profit making body to the so-called independent regulator? If you check Unsafe Skies, that is one of the major issues.

I find it fascinating that with all your posts and your obvious knowledge and experience of air traffic control, you can’t actually offer a view on the fact that we are still using old Flight Service procedures in radar covered airspace operated by air traffic controllers.

I look forward to your advice.