PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scotairways pilots say "I'm alright jack"
Old 18th Feb 2002, 03:53
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

Well, Hudson Bay migh be naive and childlike, but merlotty is just bizarre!

So you think that once pilots work out that they have to work a little harder, the company will simply employ more pilots when the "selfish" ones complain about the workload?

I really hope you are joking! Small outfits like ScotAirways will work their crews to the limits of the FTLs to save money. There is nothing the pilots can do about a (legal) hard roster. There are no "re-training" fees.

I have thought about it, and it makes no sense whatsoever. As english is clearly not your first language, maybe something got lost in the translation!!

As for basil fawlty, the only people to have benefited much from collective bargaining are BA pilots, the cost of that success of course subsidised by the non-BA BALPA members. There is really no evidence of pilots working together across the industry to improve pay and conditions- any progress that is made is only local to individual companies. There is no uniformity- companies pay what they can get away with, in accordance with supply and demand at the time.

Given the apparent unwillingness of the low-cost crews to join or accept BALPA, the situation will only get worse, not better. Of course the low-cost boys and girls get paid a decent whack to begin with!