PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 17:47
Something witty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have nothing new to say on the 777 incident per-se but do have an observation nonetheless...

Every accident or incident gets people chatting about possible causes and chains of events. Much of this is no doubt drivel and some of it may well be spoken by experts with every shade in between. Some think this speculation is a bad idea and think we should say nothing until the AAIB reports. I beg leave to differ.

To me the debate may well go down a good many dead ends and contain many inaccuracies but surely those who know better will correct those who have blundered and all will learn from the experience, whether or not the board outcome is accuratly guessed. I would far rather see a exchange of ideas that ultimatly raises the profile of the issues at hand and improves understanding than have silence until the AAIB report their findings.

Good pilots are always seeking to learn from the mistakes of others and will also seek to 'try out' their pet theories, if anything to expand and validate (or otherwise) their understanding - IMHO it can only be healthy provided everyone keeps an open mind.