PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scotairways pilots say "I'm alright jack"
Old 18th Feb 2002, 02:44
basil fawlty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot say that I am surprised. These "hard" times will show the true colours of many in the piloting fraternity I'm afraid. Unfortunately phrases such as "pay cut" (or even "tax rise"!) stir up very negative, even fearful emotions in a lot of people, even if it only results in cutting back on one meal out per week.. .Please remember though that the piloting profession, like many others such as medicine, have only secured the favourable terms and conditions enjoyed by many as a result of the workforce looking after each other over the years and "singing from the same hymn sheet" so to speak. Those laid off will be very tempted to take any flying work they can get, regardless of pay or perks, and this will ultimately erode everyone elses position far more surely and rapidly than any other scenario. This is part of the problem that BA is suffering from right now.. .Please guys, lets bury the small minded selfishness, remember the old saying "what goes around comes around" and in the relatively small flightcrew community you are not immune. Ultimately it has to be everybody or nobody.