PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ross Kemp in Afghanistan
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 16:03
Twon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some have been a little harsh towards Lou; he does have a point that today's society does tend to respond to any element of human crisis with a mass outburst of grieving/hysteria and the like.

However, what Lou possibly fails to realise (and has already been mentioned at least once) is that REMFs like myself are invariably invovled in the repatriation ceremonies. The effect this often has on servicemen, given our camaraderie, is that we relate the event to our own lives and families as well as imagine the grief of the deceased's family. I would argue that our unique understanding of the hardship of an OOA, coupled with the inherent risks, prompts tears on the part of many servicemen.

I will freely admit only vaguely knowing one person to die on operations but I will always have a manly tear in my eye on remembrance day as I reflect on those who have lost their lives. However, my tears are usually for those left behind as I can only try to imagine what my wife would feel if my name was added to the every-growing list.

Slightly more on topic, I have seen the first 2 episodes and found that my knowledge has definately increased. Well done to Mr Kemp.