PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The SYD Curfew
Thread: The SYD Curfew
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 09:52
Capt Wally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently say about 2 weeks ago I had the pleasure of handling another craft that delt with knots for it's fwd speed, a sailing boat! Haven't sailed in years, loved it. Anyway the owner took us (group of 5) out onto Botony bay where we ended up just drifting right off the retaining wall of the 16L rwy @ SYD. We where there in actual fact due to poor Wx closer to the heads but was also waiting for the A380 to depart. I wasn't aware that is was even in SYD. We watched & listened to several planes from Saab's to A340's & B777's T/Off directly overhead us or very close to it & I was amazed at how little noise they made & that was with no noise protection at all (obviously) such as house walls/roofs. It seemed like the wind noise was the most noticeable but we where close. Seeing as todays planes are so quiet compared to days gone by am surprised what all the fuss is over for the residents that seem to have such a major influence on the gateway to OZ.
Also I know they have to draw a line in the sand as to the cuttoff point for departures somewhere but you can land & even go-round at 1 minute before 11pm yet one minute after your cooked, still sleeping people at 1 minute before are the same people 1 minute after ! Like an inst appr sector entry there ought to be a 'zone' of flexability time wise for such occasions as Wx related delays.
How about this hypothetical situation. Co. employes a female to travel on every flight that looks like coming close to ldg after the curfew timepurely for the purpose of legally declaring a flight as Med one, How come?.........well she could have a pillow placed in a strategic location (up her dress) to appear to be heavily preggo, she complains that the baby is on the way, the Capt is advised & the curfew no longer applies !!!!.......almost to stupid to fathom right???............yeah well so is the curfew in the first place !!!

CW