PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of RAF Data
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 08:52
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
Stoppers, the CIS-pig iPlods have always floundered about in the dark ages of IT! Some bristling little Stasi-type once thought that, by using the squadron BBC Master to calculate turn range data, I was breaking his Rules. "Wot's it going to be used for?", he demanded. "You don't Need To Know", I explained, "Anyway, trignometry is hardly a state secret!". Fortunately the Boss told him to do one.

I'm intrigued to know how AAR trails can be managed away from base if Plod prevents the AARCs from using planning software.

A few 24 hr delays in expensive locations whilst everything is laboriously faxed back and forth, perhaps?

Back in the days of steam-planning AAR trails, there was often an extra day built in to allow the AARC with his (they were always 'him' back then) charts, dividers, Dalton spinwheel, piece of string (honest!), lodestone, quadrant and abacus to crunch his numbers. That was for relatively straightforward trails such as Akrotiri - UK. But nowadays the luxury of sufficient people and time to cope without the use of computers has disappeared.

I suppose you can always go to an Internet cafe and Google for some MSFS geek's flight planning website?

Or maybe the iPlods will have to accompany you around the world, with your flight planning laptops manacled to their trotters with a stainless steel chain?