PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 03:02
Gundog01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All he is asking (I understand) is that the military look at a safer way of transiting VFR aircraft (and one of those ways he has suggested, is directly overhead the airfield) rather than holding aircraft over houses or the ocean. If the military have some strong augment against this and can offer nothing better than is now being used, then let them come out and say it.
Circuit training, PFL training, RTB from western airspace, large formations operating at Salf Ash Air Weapons Range. Any of these activities could hold up a VFR civvy over head Willy just as much as IFR separation standards. They dont happen at the same time each day. You can't help bad timing when you transit, conflictions will occur, and ATC separate by the rules.

I am sure that you understand that the military have the first say in any changes that affect the airspace which surrounds WLM.
Changing the dimensions of airspace is one thing, but changing legislation is another thing. The military is generally accommodating when an idea is presented that is safe, practical and will actually make an improvement. Take the new RPT lanes through large chunks of the overwater airspace.

All he is asking (I understand) is that the military look at a safer way of transiting VFR aircraft (and one of those ways he has suggested, is directly overhead the airfield) rather than holding aircraft over houses or the ocean.
I think you will find that the area around Williamtown Aerodrome is pretty heavily populated. So why would home owners want these lighties that are about to fall out of the sky flying over their homes?????

I dont disagree that we should always look for better procedures, but we need a well thought out idea that not only satisifies the military and civvy circles, but is safe and most of all practical.

DG01