PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 02:15
vans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pera

I am sure that you understand that the military have the first say in any changes that affect the airspace which surrounds WLM. You say
Some have said that the airspace needs to be changed and that the military can do this, but that is not correct
I am quite sure that all that restricted airspace didn’t get there without input from the military in the first place. Sure it required ASA approval before it was promulgated, but nothing will happen with ASA unless the military give their approval or input in the first place. This is why the first line of seeking approval is with the military.

Once again
This would be a solution for DS and the military would have to introduce it if it was legislated, but they can't implement it without legislation, so what is he asking them to do?
All he is asking (I understand) is that the military look at a safer way of transiting VFR aircraft (and one of those ways he has suggested, is directly overhead the airfield) rather than holding aircraft over houses or the ocean. If the military have some strong augment against this and can offer nothing better than is now being used, then let them come out and say it. On the other hand, if they believe there may be a better solution, then co-operate in finding that solution and then the ball will start rolling. Without the military making the first move, nothing will happen with ASA. Surely this is not too much to ask – authority in the past (whether it be military or civil) have always been slow to react to perceived safety issues until an accident or an incident forced the issue, and usually after someone was injured or killed. Let’s not wait for that to happen here when all it takes is for a little co-operation on the part of the military to get things moving. After that the ball will pass to ASA and maybe the necessary changes will take place. A refusal to do anything is risking a lot.

Bye the way, NAS was never defeated, it was changed somewhat (rolled back) but much of it still exists today, for the better or worse I not going to argue on this thread.