PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Aborted Rescue
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 22:12
Shackman

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

When I first logged on I was set to praise the competence of all those involved in the rescues over the last 24 hours, whatever colour of their uniform - again expecting to see something in similar vein in the first post. However it would seem that point scoring came first.

I have done night rescues, albeit in the days (nights) before NVG and other goodies that are now available, and would be the first to admit that it was bl**dy hard and I was quite glad that most went to the SK and us Wessex guys were only used in extremis by RCC. However, even harder is the point where you say NO, whether because it is just too dangerous for the winchman and/or crew, or fuel/PLE becomes a critical factor, or for weather or any other of a myriad problems. The ac captain has to make a decision which may not always be the one that people sitting safe in their ops room like, or allow others like NT to make snide comments about, but it is why he is captain. Luckily, when that crew returned another one from RNAS Culdrose was available to go - a Rescue crew, it matters not RAF, RN, Coastguard or otherwise.

That is why it is called teamwork. It is what we do, but there are always those who wish to score points (and wave their willeys inthe air) in favour of one service. Yes the press frequently get it wrong, but that does not alter the opinion of the professionals who go out there and get the job done. They know who, what, where and when.

I raise a glass to you all this evening.

Shackman