PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA-LAN-COPA No-Hire Agreement
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 19:05
777RamAirTurbine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation TACA-LAN-COPA No-Hire Agreement

Ladies and Gentlemen

I just got off the phone with a good friend of mine working in TACA Peru and was told something that in my opinion is the sleaziest, most disgusting and unbelievable way of doing business. Besides that, IT HAS to be absolutely illegal.
It filtered out that the owners of TACA International, COPA Airlines and LAN Airlines got themselves together for a private meeting in which it was agreed upon to not solicit nor accept Airline Personnel from any of the other airlines in order to avoid having to raise salaries due to competition and keep theirs profits high. Not just that, just the record to be a former employee having worked with the opposite airline, he or she is to be considered an “enemy combatant” and not be recruited. All employees are to be considered that, not just Pilots, mechanics and dispatchers.

Now, I know this is illegal in the U.S., I can not believe Unions and lawyers in S. America are not all over this issue. This HAS to be against every freedom of choice law that is out there. I can also not believe that the Ministry of Work just lets them do these kinds of things without investigating the issue. But as everyone knows, the current Government, APRA, at work in Peru has a tradition of being extremely corrupt anyway.
I also was told that the agreement was initiated by the owners of LAN as they would have lost quite a bit of their Pilot staff based in Peru since their conditions are way below the waterline. Additionally, LAN Peru just changed Operations Management and the current Top Dog is a former Manager of the Bankrupt Airline “AeroContinente”, who’s former owner is currently on Trial for Charges of Drug-trafficking, Money Laundering and Murder. Imagine the “Iron Fist” and “Back-Stabbing” policy he must have initiated. Those kinds of people NEVER change!

I can not understand why a company like TACA International, an extremely well respected company with extremely professionally oriented personnel would even think about getting into an Agreement like that. They would have had the raisins of the cake available to them, so many pilots want to work there because this company promotes personal growth and rewards professionalism. LAN and COPA I can understand, they treat their people like scum and pay them 25% to 38% below market values without profit sharing, unless you work directly in the LAN Chile Holding part, THEN you’re home safe!

But still, WHO in the hell would want to work in a shady company like that? No wonder LAN Peru got themselves unionized a few months ago, no wonder COPA Airlines needs to hire almost retired Airline Captains from Bolivia and Nicaragua who barely speak enough English to order a Pizza at Dominos to keep themselves afloat.

Oh, another thing worth mentioning: As TACA raised their Age limit from 60 to 65 after the U.S. Congress allowed us to continue flying, LAN Peru got themselves into a pretty pickle as they were gambling on the fact that TACA Peru Pilots close to 60 would jump ship and come over. That must have hurt! Deserve them right though.

Additionally it also filtered out that a lot of close-to-over-the-hill pilots in the US from various “pirate companies” were asked to join LAN Peru in order to meet the necessity for the market. Turned out that for THAT low wage no one wanted to come over, with the exception of two B767 Captains from Bolivia. Now imagine that: BOTH failed their simulator training! Hmmm… that’s why they came, and THAT’s the quality recruitment department an airline like LAN Peru has!!

It’s really sad to see things like that happen, unfortunately they do. The Cueto Family found out a few years ago that their strategy of being a proud and honest, hard working airline had to become an image only.

I highly suggest Head-Hunters and Recruitment Companies to start advertising in the local Tabloids over there. These kinds of things usually bring a LOT of employee dissatisfaction and make recruiting for well trained, well educated pilots’ sooooo much easier! There you ganna be able to make a buck or two!

I hope no one I know is going to be on board of the airplane that will go down sometime soon, as employee exploitation and unprofessional behavior on behalf of management always go hand-in-hand.

Please, Criticism and suggestions are EXTREMELY welcome, I might not have the best sources of information’s; please correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks for reading my stuff and always blue skies