PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does lime jelly come under the 100ml restriction
Old 1st Feb 2008, 21:16
loadcontrol2majortom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Define liquids

My daily argument with security is that surely something measured in 'ml' is a liquid, but many supposed liquids are measured in 'mg' Surely something measured in mg could be classed as a solid?!?!

The response given by these obvious mathematical genius's is '1ml = 1mg'

However, is this really the case when a gramme is a measure of mass and a litre a measure of volume!! Do they convert that easilly???

Well following a little internet browsing the following breif summary was found:

'It depends on the substance. Every substance will have a different weight to volume conversion factor. If you know the density, or specific gravity, you can'

Now surely, G4 security are not issued conversion tables showing the 'density or specific gravity' of your average tapioca pudding. So I am always somewhat bemused as to how they can generalize anything 'kind of runny looking' (their words not mine) as a banned liquid.

I know there is a lot more to life than this but it infuriates me as to how they can ban my yoghurt when they will quite happily walk landside to airside with their cup of tea whilst scanning my belongings!!!