PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in 21 days!?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2008, 19:51
flyre8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take your time - do it well

I completed an FI rating in seven weeks in the UK over November and December last year. I was working at it weekdays full time except for two days off to attend to family matters.

The FI course is similar to the PPL in that the instructor flies each lesson in the PPL syllabus. Instead of learning the lesson (which by this stage we ought to rather good at) the trainee FI is learning how to teach it. Instead of doing PPL groundschool (again we should know this) the trainee FI is studying how to teach, how do students learn and what to say, or perhaps more importantly what not to say in the aircraft!

I was in a hurry, like you seen to be (no income) but in my view there can be no substitute for doing a job well, and I enjoyed my course one hundred percent. It is possible to fly nearly every day in the UK (at some time of the day) so my advise is find an instructor in the UK who will teach you the PPL full time over six to eight weeks. Weather good = go flying. Weather poor = Go groundschool.

The rate per hour in the UK may be a higher that in the US, but there are no flights to pay for, no accomodation and no lonely time away from home. When it comes to a CPL or IR skill test you will want to have as much experience of UK airspace as possible. If you slip up on one of these tests it will cost at least £1000 in CAA fees and aircraft hire for a retest so in my view a PPL in the UK is economic. If you want to go to the US go when you are hours building.

Good luck with the course whatever you choose.