PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2008, 18:17
prospector

" It was also entirely reasonable for them to assume that conditions were VMC."

IF THE WAYPOINT CHANGE HAD NOT BEEN MADE, OR IF THE FLIGHT CREW HAD BEEN INFORMED OF THE CHANGE, THE FLIGHT CREW WOULD NOT HAVE ASSUMED THAT THEY WERE SEVERAL MILES AWAY AND WOULD NOT HAVE DESCENDED THE AIRCRAFT WHERE THEY DID SO.

Lot of assumptions there, one of the first things I was taught when I was doing my training was not to make assumptions.you must know. Also a major no no was to go down sucker holes, especially when I had only an assumption of my position.

"So Collins and Cassin must take responsibility for doing that. Indeed I don't think anyone has ever denied that fact."

Yes indeed, and yet they are blameless???

"Your logic would also support arguments that women who wear attractive clothes or go to pubs are to blame if they get raped; one hears of very few nuns getting so attacked."

Garbage, another assumption.

"The errors in the briefing were serious but not an absolute excuse for the accident when the means were readily available for the pilot in command to make certain he knew where he was."

As has been stated before, that statement from Ron Chippendale holds more water that all the legal clap trap that has been printed.

The Committee went on to say that it was time to put it all to rest. I suggest we agree with that opinion.

Agreed.

Last edited by prospector; 1st Feb 2008 at 19:24.