PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Mechanical Rescue Devices
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2008, 14:49
Ship Manager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies for not replying sooner (pressure of work etc etc )

Apparently two meetings were held yesterday on the subject – any feed back ? nothing from this end I’m afraid.

Hellimut – what exactly does your close relative do? Is he the cook, and Engineer, Seaman ??? Yes they only EXERCISE up to about 3.5 metres to give them a margin against injuring themselves – the real deal and risk parameters change. Also 3.5m is a fairly arbitrary figure – see previous on water depth, tides etc.
Whether he fancies it or not it gives a good prospect of recovery.

RW&B Thanks for the bigger picture regarding SNS ops.
I would not even try to put a quantification on what 's “good prospect of recovery” . All I can say is that flying is perhaps the most prescriptive industry there is and that the “definitive point” model does not always translate to other spheres. Also perhaps the “good prospect of flying / arriving” is still one of your mental processes; whilst virtually all your risk has been engineered out of decisions making progress I bet you still think twice before flying in marginal conditions.
Ref your observation on manoeuvrability I don’t want to quote rules but the vessels themselves must be able to (and in reality are capable of) “without headway / sternway hold its desired position while carrying out rescue operations, to avoid hazard to persons in the water in all but exceptional weather”. Couple that to a good ship handling Captain and his team and you have something that will save you, not finish you off.

This, I don’t believe, is going to be the right medium to re-assure you that dacon scoops are okay, hopefully BALPA will do hat with the right resources being supplied to them by the stand-by industry – I’m not holding my breath though !

Safe Flights
SM