PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Quebec - Don't speak French
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2008, 12:28
Carrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
English is the official and accepted language of world aviation. This is the only language that should be used for aviation so that all users will be able to understand. There have been a number of crashes due to use of a local language that some users were unable to understand. A mid-air crash between a BA airliner and another aircraft over the former Yugoslavia comes to mind. The use of French in Quebec is a reckless disregard of aviation safety. If you are in the air there, whether as crew or pax, you are at an increased risk of being in a mid-air crash or other disaster. Use of French in aviation in Quebec should be discontinued for safety.

I must add that I have flown over many decades in South Africa, a country that is fully bilingual as against Canada’s purely regional use of other than English, and I never heard anyone communicating in Afrikaans. Obviously South Africans have more of a safety culture and are more responsible than Canadians! Canucks lack the guts to stand up for aviation safety and demand that only English be used in Canadian aviation.