PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 1st Feb 2008, 10:18
GemDeveloper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinkman:

It takes an hour or so to run some ASTM tests and in all the so-called 'leaks' I havent heard one say "we have analysed both the fuel from the aircraft tanks which were supplying at the time as well as the retention samples from lab, terminal, and hydrant/bowser and have discounted fuel contamination as the cause of the incident". Its the easiest, quickest, and cheapest theory to dismiss. So dismiss it!

I am sure that is not going to happen at the moment for a number of reasons:

The AAIB folks will not be wanting to drip feed information into the public forum.

A confirmation of fuel meeting specification (remembering that it will have been Chinese No3 fuel, but that meets checklist, and I think has slightly better cold flow properties), will direct all the tabloids into a witch hunt about RR’s engine management systems, Boeing’s fuel system design on the 777, BA’s operating procedures, LHR’s ATC procedures, and heaven knows what else, to say nothing of the pilots’ lifestyles, and other irrelevancies.

If there is any suspicion that the fuel did not meet checklist, then there is the very delicate matter of achieving the co-operation of the Chinese Authorities in following up the causes and ensuring that there are no further occurrences. Any such discussions will test the diplomatic skills of the AAIB and the ARB. No supplying Company likes to admit that their product failed to meet specification, and I can imagine that any suggestion to a Chinese parastatal of a quality issue initially will be rebuffed, the more so at a time when the authorities are putting in considerable effort to ensure the best possible face of China as a full member of the world community for the Games later this year. And don’t think that managing loss of ‘face’ is just an Oriental problem: it’s a requirement in the West too, it’s just that we don’t call it that.