PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European helmets
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2008, 22:53
eharding

A little less conversation,
a little more aviation...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guppy,

I bought a custom-fit HGU55 from Flightsuits 3 years ago, and even back then there was a 6 week delay getting an export licence to the UK - Lord knows why - and my understanding Flightsuits had effectively withdrawn from the export business, leaving local dealers to deal with the export bollocks.

Agree re: the Oregon Aero kit - better than the stock Gentex liners and earcups. The only benefit of having a custom fit Gentex is having the edge-roll fit the face - liners and ear-cups need some time to adjust and get comfortable with, and you can do that yourself for free.

The DC helmets are better than nothing, but outrageously expensive for what they are. They move around to an extent in even moderately robust aeros to prove a bit of a liability. I suspect the nape protection device on the DCs might just ensure you break your neck in an accident - I note Gentex go out of their way to *remove* the coverage of the helmet in that area. Perhaps DC thought the target market were Cub drivers, for whom being hit in the back of the head by faster traffic, birds, large insects and buildings conveyed by continental drift are a major concern.

Edited;

Pitts 2112 :Pitts plus an HGU55 = http://www.cep-usa.com - or you can go deaf for free...