PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 31st Jan 2008, 22:49
grebllaw123d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel waxing etc....

This incident is still puzzling everybody

I still have great diffuculty in believing the talk about about possible fuel waxing, because the presence of wax would imply that the flight deck crew had FAILED to adhere to the proper and straigtforward procedures for flight in low OATs.
And I have no reason to mistrust the professionalism of the involded BA crew in this respect.

Also, I do not believe in the theory concerning water/ice contamination of the fuel for the reasons already put forward by several earlier posts.
I will just repeat one of the arguments: even if tiny ice crystals were present in the fuel, how could they "survive" their travel through 2 fuel pumps, the fuel/oil cooler and a filter and still have a potential of almost shutting an engine down?
And on both engines at almost the same time!

I believe that the cause(s) to this incident will turn up to be problems in the hardware/software parts of systems controlling the engines (FADEC, EEC, AUTOTHRUST etc..).
But there is of course a weak point, i.e. how can 2 engines, running independently, show problems at almost the same time, unless the problems are in some way connected?
In theory it may be possible!

By the way: A great WELL DONE to the crew!

(This is my first post - I am a retired captain, the last 10 years in my career were on B-767 and A340).