PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: AsA ATC staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2008, 22:48
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Wellconcerned, come on, pull the other one. My last involvement with air traffic control in a position of authority was when I finished my term as CAA Chairman in February 1992 – that is 16 years ago!

The TAAATS system was ordered to specifically go with the AMATS airspace system. I suggest you look at Chapter Three (and on) of Unsafe Skies here. Specifically look at the diagram of the airspace that was approved by the CAA Board in 1991. In effect, TAAATS is designed to go with a proper disciplined airspace system that is operated by air traffic control, using separation techniques for IFR aircraft.

Ever since I retired there has been a campaign by those who resist change to try to keep the old “do it yourself” Flight Service system, but have professional air traffic controllers perform that task.

The fact that you are not game to put your name to your post could mean that you have some other agenda.

It is interesting that there is no person who places posts on this site, or makes any official statements with a different agenda for airspace, who gives his or her name. All I can see are anonymous people posting, and saying in effect, “We should keep the status quo and never ever move ahead with proper procedures that are designed for air traffic controllers rather than having ATCs operate as if they are FSOs.”

If I had been responsible in any way in the last five years, there would have been no chance of the present situation occurring. There would be more air traffic controllers employed, but there would also be more controlled airspace and less “do it yourself” procedures for airlines when in cloud and in mountainous terrain under radar coverage.

I suggest everyone has a read of Unsafe Skies again to see if they actually disagree with the plans that were approved by the CAA Board in 1991. I haven’t actually ever heard of anyone disagreeing with the principles of what the AMATS changes were to gain.