PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - distance learn or not to distance learn....
Old 31st Jan 2008, 19:24
coodem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't make your decision on the look of the books alone, after all, there is nothing stopping you doing the ATPL with company A and using Oxfords books, it makes no difference, its the same exam at the end of the day.
Most DL courses these days don't include books, you do it all online and have an option to pay extra for the books, if you prefer studying that way.

I started my ATPL's last year mid October, took 6 exams in December. Met, AL, HPL, Ops, IFR and VFR. got over 90% on all of them, and the usual 100%'s in the Coms. Taking another 5 in March. Gnav, Pof, M&B, Perf and FP. Could have done them in Feb, but I took 1 month off for xmas.

I have not found them too bad so far, they all look daunting, when you see how much there is to do. I just do a bit everyday, and before you know it, you know everything you need to.

Not sure I would have done it as quick and with such good results if I was not doing it full time and in house. It really helps to be round others in the same boat, everyone helps each other out, and no one feels alone.

If you are able to motivate yourself and have the disapline, do it DL. Do it with the cheapest school, use the money you saved for flying and other training aids you can find, OAT do some good training DVD's.

No one cares where you did your ground, as long as you passed them all and have a good understanding of the subjects you will be fine.