PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2008, 13:08
marguerita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
answers?

I too believe the answer lies (at least partially) with a pay scale that expands either vertically or horizontally. An ADMINO Sqn Cdr gets extra pay banding for doing the job - pilots, no difference, it needs sorting and hopefully (tell him he's dreamin') will be this year. I also understand the old sticking point of the army being tied with us when discussing pilot pay (LTCOL - "Christ we can't have bloody Major pilots being paid more than me - they're only tank drivers in the air, say NO!!) has now stopped as they are separate this time around, thank God. It's been a stopper for us in the past.

It does beg the question what will happen to WGCDR etc pay if the SQNLDR's/ Senior FLTLT's are being paid say 140k.

The latest paperwork to come out of DP covering the new pay structure is quite specific saying that all PAF and reservists will get their pay increase back-dated to 07 if they are placed higher in GOPS. Pilots have not yet been placed, so when we are later this year we can all look forward to that back pay..................... hoorah!

Pay is only part of the story though, and better T&C should be looked at. The number of reservists is on the up and a decent Spec Aircrew scheme perhaps offering a pay increase at either FLTLT or SQNLDR rank ultimately reflecting the pay of a career WGCDR would help.

I understand the RAF are currently offering GBP150k for a SQNLDR to stay for 5 years post age 38 point. It's a worldwide phenomenon. The RAF PA spine (Spec aircrew alternative) may be a good template - it offers someone who wants to fly and doesn't care about a career, pay ultimately equivalent to a junior GPCAPT. I believe it was so successful (surprise) that it's now almost impossible to get on.