PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF and Single Engined Fighters
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2008, 10:45
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,702 Likes on 781 Posts
First lets discount the remark concerning the last 30 years. The Tornado, F16, F18, F18 etc were all initially designed back in the 70s - if not the late 60s.

Early jet engines were weak so a single engined fighter (Vampire, Sea Hawk, A-4 etc) had to be relatively small, light weight and short range. No real problem for short-range agile IDF or FBA aircraft, but longer range aircraft needed 2 engines.

Early engines were also unreliable so single engined aircraft were lost a far higher rate, the expense of having and running 2 engines was offset by not losing so many. It also helped that, over the ocean, you tended to get the crew back - which is why the RN and USN liked them. Which explains the Buccaneer, F-4, F-14, A-6, A-5 etc.

Engine power improved, as did reliability. The F-16/F-18 fly-off probably marked the point where the improvement made the loss rate etc acceptable - at least over land. Hence the USAF going for the F-16 and the USN for the F-18.

At the top end where you want high performance the thrust of two engines still win. Which is why the Typhoon, Rafale, F-22, SU-30 etc have two. For bomb trucks where, apart from TO and landing, you want low fuel burn, a single engine will probably now win out, though I don't know anyone building one apart from the Gripen.

I say that because the F-35 design is driven by the STOVL requirement which pretty much ruled out two engines from the start.

I am surprised the Russians haven't built a NG Mig-23/27 replacement. There must be a market for it.

Last edited by ORAC; 31st Jan 2008 at 11:03.