PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class 1 medical and asthma
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2008, 09:56
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They'll see it quite clearly on your peak flow test if you had asthma
Incorrect. It will show if you currently have a reduced peak flow due to current effects of an asthma attack, or any other respiratory disorder affecting peak flow. The poster said he had suffered mild asthma a good few years ago (say 4-5) but have since grown out of it If he has no respiratory disorder currently there is no reason why his peak flow should not match anyone else's.

I was in a similar position to the original poster many years back. The CAA medical department (like most medical professionals) opinion of Asthma seems to have become much more realistic in the last 10-15 years; when I was a kid you were 'labelled' and that was that, no chance of passing any medical for anything because of the 'A' word.

There are many, many degrees of Asthma, from mild (where many people don't even realise what it is) to disabling when individuals cannot function. Drugs have moved on too, so Asthma can be well controlled and as long as you don't get hospitalised with it then the CAA seem happy enough to accept well managed Asthma.

For those who don't understand it, just because someone has Asthma it doesn't make them 'incapable' or a 'risk'. I was an Army Physical Training Instructor with a history of Asthma and there weren't many lads who could keep up with me Sebastian Coe (800m world record holder? and Olympic 1500m champion) and many other World class sportsmen and women are Asthmatic and it doesn't prevent them doing anything.

PP