PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2008, 00:05
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
No Further Requirements, I can assure you that there are many places around the world where there are live firing and strafing ranges in the vicinity of airports like Williamtown. Not at any place that I have ever seen do they encompass the whole area in Class C airspace.

Also, the point I’m getting at is that this airspace is activated to 24 miles for civilian traffic. That is, ATC will come in and activate the airspace because there is a Saab or a Navajo approaching.

Everything you say is about keeping the status quo and justifying what has been done in the past.

Whereas a low time pilot would be trained to advise ATC if being vectored into cloud, it would take quite a gutsy low time pilot to refuse an ATC instruction to hold and orbit.

Unfortunately you are missing out on the whole point I am making. That is, there is simply no need under the circumstances shown to hold a VFR aircraft. They can actually transit through the airspace very safely using modern ICAO procedures. For example, if the airspace was Class D, a traffic information service would suffice.

We go from everything (i.e. Class C) to absolutely nothing (i.e. a “black hole” CTAF) purely depending on when the military decides to man the tower – not when the risks are highest for civilian traffic.

I can assure you that this is all about a lack of ability of the people in the military to introduce any change – even if it is change that they want.