PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help with upcoming Regional Express Cadet pilot Interview
Old 30th Jan 2008, 23:52
KRUSTY 34

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks wesky and blueberry.

Pretty much nailed the numbers, but the DTA will probably run to between 7-9 K PA!

One of my problems with employing low time guys and girls as well as the cadets (low time by definition) is the issue of command upgrades. As far as the concept of getting into a company like REX with little or no experience, being a golden opportunity, I couldn't agree more. I spent 9 years in GA. Had a class 1 ATPL and over 2000 hours multi IFR command before I got an interview! I am far from being bitter about that, but I think a reality check is in order as to the long term worth to the company of accepting the current situation without even trying to retain existing experienced crew.

I know I've been flogging this line for some time, but it is such a serious problem that it will, in the not too distant future, jeopodise the financial viability of the company itself. And at the end of the day, that is what really matters.

So you can understand my curiosity as to CH's response when asked the time frame for command. I can only assume that the 2 years would refer to the time it will take to log the 1500 hours total to hold a class 1 ATPL. Mind you Co-pilot time may only be logged as 50% of total aeronautical experience. So you do the math on that one. Also this would assume that all your ATPL subjects have been sucessfully completed. Do not plan on having a life over the next 2 years if you want to make this happen. You will be working max hours! Then there is the question of the min multi command requirement. If you have only, say 100 of these hours, did CH shed any light on to how the balance will be made up. There is some speculation that F/O's may be able to log ICUS whilst in the course of normal line flying. I can tell you now that most of the current line Captains will be unwilling to sign off on that one. No malice intended, but unless you are a check and trainer, the others will not be prepared to put their reputations on the line in that regard. Finally, commands are now running at less than 8 months. Mmmm.. 8 Months....2 years??? see what I mean?

wesky, one thing is for sure. There are 2 sides to every story!