PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2008, 23:15
No Further Requirements

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is only partially true. For example, CASA has quite specific dimensions for Class C airspace promulgated. Nowhere does it show Class C going to 24 miles at ground level. The military has simply decided to take no notice of the CASA “standards” in this case.
That's true Dick, however there are not too many class C aerodromes that have live firing and straffing ranges around them. Nor are there too many that have low flying high speed jet recoveries. I suspect, if you delved deeper, there would be a good reason why the CTR is so large.

Do you not think it is safer to declare a large CTR that encompasses a number of dangerous areas (bombs, rockets etc) rather than promulgate, activate and de-activate small areas which could be easily be missed on NOTAMS resulting in needless deaths? I think the RAAF is doing GA a favour by having such an area.

And I also agree that it is the PIC's responsibility to ensure the safety of their aircraft. If the instruction given to them by ATC puts their flight into danger, they should speak up. I would expect a VFR aircraft on a vector to advise me if they were going to enter cloud. Same way if you are told to hold over water and were worried then you should speak up. If you are confident enough to fly a plane you are confident enough to seek a better solution with ATC.

Cheers,

NFR.

Last edited by No Further Requirements; 30th Jan 2008 at 23:27. Reason: spellin'