PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in 21 days!?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2008, 23:12
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if it's still advertised, I wouldn't recommend doing a JAA PPL in 21 days -even provided the weather was OK and plane availability at 100%. The PPL should be seen as the foundation of your fluture flying career (I guess you want to go commercial since you post in this forum). It's very important to have sound bases, and I cannot see this done in 3 short weeks.

I did my JAA PPL in 5 weeks back in 2001, and that meant 2 flights/day most days! Bottom line: even in 5 weeks, it was hard work! I didn't pass any ground exam in GB before heading off, but had read the Trevor Thom books and sat 6 out of 7 PPL exams within a few days of arriving; so most of the 5 weeks was just flying. Airmanship and good habits are not best taught by rushing through the course. Obviously I'm not saying you should do it at "UK speed" (4-6 months), but 21 days seems awfully short. Of course you might want to make it fit your holiday; but remember, aviation is about hoping for the best and planning for the worst. In other words, you should have a 20% time (and $$$) "buffer" in case you should need more training, aircraft go "tech", the weather doesn't cooperate, or the TSA doesn't play ball, etc.

One can certainly do a CPL in 3 weeks, but then again it's only a 25-hr course and goes over material you've already seen at PPL!

My advice: take (a bit) more time. As previous posters show, you'll be glad you did.

Cheers