PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vacancy for tug pilot - unpaid.
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2008, 21:08
ProfChrisReed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As one of the guys at the other end of the rope, I'd say that tugging is hard work and, at the smaller clubs, much appreciated.

Lasham is at the St James clubland end of the gliding world - many glider pilots there (not all of course) are flying gliders worth multiples of the tug value, and for them the tug pilot might be little more than a lowly paid service provider.

In small clubs, tug pilots are valued members and often bought beer, particularly if they've dropped a glider in a particularly good thermal. However, this means that tugging vacancies in small clubs are normally filled by personal recommendation.

From talking to tug pilots, I'd say:

1. Your handling skills will become top notch. Crosswind landings will be the norm, as gliders seem to be able to cope easily with crosswinds which have the tug pilot doing a Fred Astaire impression.

2. Your perception of what's going on around will also improve radically - playing in the same circuit as a bunch of near-invisible gliders who may be forced to do unpredictable things is a challenge.

3. If male, you may need to adopt a John Wayne walk to accommodate your balls of steel. I've been on tows where I only hung on because the tug pilot was still going, and I suspect he only hung on because I hadn't let go. There's a lot of marginal/edge of the envelope flying involved. Plus, the glider pilot can kill you if he loses concentration, so there's a lot of trust needed.

You may have gathered that I'm very fond of tug pilots, at least if I want a tow right now. The rest of the time, I just admire their nerve.