PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2008, 20:52
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Ozbusdriver, you state:

Dick, it is not extraordinary. It's called AIRMANSHIP. Part of that means learn the system and flow with it.
From that I understand you mean “stick with the status quo” – i.e. if in 1930 someone decided that there should be a 1,000 foot vertical separation between IFR and VFR, that separation must go on forever. That is, “learn the system and flow with it” rather than look at other modern aviation countries which have changed to a 500 foot separation standard with no reported safety implications.

I have a feeling – as sad as it is – that we are going to have to wait for more needless fatalities at Williamtown before the changes are made. In my publication Unsafe Skies I quoted a senior Government bureaucrat who said that the changes would not be made until there was a major airline accident. He said that was the history of aviation.

Although most who post on this site are opposed to any change and want the status quo, I’m truly hoping there are some new “Young Turks” coming along who will push for Australia to move to the most efficient and modern regulations in the world.

By the way, CaptainMidnight, I’ve spoken to Col Rodgers, the President of AOPA, and he totally supports television announcements in relation to Williamtown and single engine aircraft as I have discussed on this thread.