PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help with upcoming Regional Express Cadet pilot Interview
Old 30th Jan 2008, 19:56
wesky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krusty and all,

What can I say.

To be honest, anyone that is being demotivated by PPRune posts - there is always 3 sides to the story and you are only ever going to know 2 of them. I strongly suggest that you do your best to discover the 2 sides....

WOMBAT test - unique, nothing I have ever seen or done before. Pain staking = hell yes. Hard - no. 90 minutes of chasing a circle around the screen and flash card tests is more than enough to send a gay man straight.

Interview - put simply, a formal chat. Mine went nothing like your usual interviews of "Give me an example of when you did this, that and everything thing and how the hell did it turn out?"... nothing of the sort. The HR lady, the CP and I had a good chat for about 1.2 hours. Aerodynamic questions are asked to gauge your interest in the industry. Know Rex as much as their media and stat releases allow you too.

My conclusion - Is the program good - yes. Is there anything dodgy - no. Is 5-6 years committment a long time - yes. The big question (and dont anyone dare to ask me how it will work - just get yourself an interview) expected time to command time - 2 years (again, dont question me. get yourself an interview and get the CP to explain it). $80k is a lot of money. In saying that, it covers everything (including 2 ATPL subjects [law and HF's] - right down to the washing powder you need to wash your supplied uniform.

If you can afford to do your MECIR and 30% of the ATPL subjects yourself, do it. You can be doing bigger and better things after 3 years of battling it on the noodle diet up north. The first few groups will be mainly for Rex (SF340). Airlink and Pel arent really in need at this point in time. CP said you can forget about working @ Pel and very little chance of doing Airlink.

At the moment, it is straight out from 32 weeks then on to ground school for 2-3 months while on $30k Once checked to line, expect about $2800 take home p/mnth (base wage plus a DTA built in to the agreement). The endo for the SF340 is in way of being stuck with them for 2 years as opposed to paying $10k. This doesnt matter as you would be stuck there for 5-6 years anyways.

If you have been a pilot, want to be a pilot and can show you interest in aviation but cant afford to progress - go for your life with this - especially if you are young (6 years service at the age of 20 is nothing. If you can afford your own training - get your own training and do the hard yards with out Rex. You will move much quicker and no doubt be more happier and richer long before anyone taking up the offer has the opportunity to move away from Rex. In saying that, if you would be happy at Rex - you would be 'set', so to speak.