PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 30th Jan 2008, 17:33
Pitot Probe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glide performance of 777?

So as to avoid any speculation on a probable cause, I'd like to find out more about the glide performance of the 777.

Can a 777 pilot please comment...

Most machines I've flown (737 the biggest) have glide ratios of between 2 and 3 nm per 1000 ft in the clean configuration.
Fully configured this normally halves.

Argument: When the engines failed to respond (or thrust decreased) the aircraft was at 600' and 2nm.

If the glide performance of a configured 777 is say 1.5nm per 1000' (Im guessing!) the aircraft would have flown another 0.9nm (and obviously not made it)

Above assumes that the aircraft was already at glide speed and any extra speed would obviously send it farther (but I doubt all the way to the airfield).

We do however know that the engines were turning and it seems obvious that they were producing some amount of thrust till touchdown.

Could a 777 pilots perhaps comment on what amount of power would be needed to get the 777 to go 2nm from 600' in the landing config?

I understand that knowing a rough power setting is not really relevant to the incident, but it will certainly help pass the time while we wait on the AAIB

PP