PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2008, 16:20
PLE Always

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Ruprecht and Baffler15.

I'm suggesting a critical mass, not all positions. So say half permanent and the other half ebbing and flowing as things are at the moment. There will still be the flow that we have now to allow guys to keep moving "Up" through flying positions. Ultimately if you're not good or lucky enough to score a permanent job, **** happens, the organisation can only do what it can, at least the possibility of permanency would be there. I think it's pretty clear that the machine relies on a certain amount of separation.

The question I really want an answer to, is would guys really be happy being a QFI/CC/FCI in one FEG till they're 60?

Having seen another military that encourages guys to stay til 20 years to get a pension, interest/job satisfaction wanes pretty quickly after the first couple of postings? With time you end up with at best dullards and at worst negative grizzlers polluting the minds of the following generations making the workplace about as joyous as a morgue.

I think we can please more but due to the nature of the beast guys are going to miss out. At least with numerous permanent/critical positions guys will have a chance and something to aspire to, and from the RAAF's pov it will be protected from experience drains.

Who knows.

ps. I like the idea of shifting your pay scale to the right and for more years if you have post grad quals.