PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB BA38 B777 Initial Report Update 23 January 2008
Old 30th Jan 2008, 07:43
Pinkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fitter 2: You (the speculators rather than the sensible ' hang on a minute' ones) are waffling to pass an idle moment.
Yes, its great, isn't it. But I tell you what.. irrespective of what the final outcome is, 1) it has raised the profile of aviation fuel quality, 2) it has raised awareness of the importance of managing unusual environmental conditions. Can raising awareness be a bad thing? Isn't that what PPrune is about?

NSEU: This also increases the likelihood that freezing will be detected before it starts to cause a problem.
Yes, but only if the fuel is on spec. If the fuel is off spec, how would you, or the machine know what that temperature relates to?

Stilton: Ok then, why did no other China originating aircraft have problems
Because no aircraft flew exactly the same route with exactly the same fuel at exactly the same time. If this flight had landed 5 minutes earlier, would it have in fact happened? Was it the same fuel in fact? Was it a bowser or a hydrant servicer? Could it have been a slug of water when tanks were switched?. Is there only one supplier to all aircraft? Was there maintenance done on the fuel system or the bowser? etc. etc. The AAIB will look into all this.

gonebutnotforgotten: Yes, thats about what I am supposing - but like anyone else, I have no idea really. I dont like the word "plug". I know that when I used to do the test in the lab, the wax crystals settled out. Maybe it was both ice and wax. Maybe it was water. Maybe it wasn't fuel at all. I just don't know. Its just one of a number of hypotheses. All I am saying is, the facts that we know argue more strongly for it than against it.

Pinkman