PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Federation involvement at Jetstar and one pilot union
Old 29th Jan 2008, 20:26
OpsNormal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would really like to see someone identifiable from the top of the AIPA pile reply to this thread so that the average Australian pilot might learn the stance of the AIPA on this matter.

I suspect Lawrie may well have hit the nail squarely upon its head when he alluded to one of the main issues in play:

...let’s park the egos...
I certainly hope that any selfish notions that a continued situation of fractured industry representative bodies being a good thing for any of us are dispelled quickly and finally and that there is a greater good to be achieved with a single representative body.

Lawrie, I wish you the best with this, but you do need to start raising the AFAP bar higher too if you really want to take advantage of these times here and now. You must build strength through unity and presence.... and that starts at the grass roots of GA. Here's a couple of reasons right off the top of my head, I'm sure others could help both join the dots and expand the list further...

1. No GA pilot ever sees an AFAP rep walk through their employers door "just to check on how things are going in their workplace"- even once a year.

You know, that by seeing to be seen in the workplace (and a little sabre-rattling from time to time), that alone would be enough to raise the awareness level of the people employed in GA and it follows that a person thinks (not misguidedly I hope) that joining an organisation that will do its best for them is a good thing to do, then it will happen.

2. Start enforcing those that are roped-in to the award to pay it.

Sort of goes hand in hand with visiting workplaces there Lawrie. You might find that there is an alternate view on the meaning of the word "collective" held by this government that differs markedly from the previous. I would implore you to explore that further....

3. Who cares what it is called, but I know for certain that it must be capable and willing to represent (not just advise) all members at all levels of this industry. Yes, those at the higher end of the payscales will be certainly helping to support and foster the lower end, but look at it this way... It's altruism and mentorism without getting your hands dirty. By helping the lower end of the industry you will be ensuring that the industry as a whole benefits from greater pay and working conditions across the board for all.

That can only come from one thing.... Everyone pulling in the ONE direction and at the ONE time. Mr AIPA and Mr AFAP, do you think you can manage that together?

All I will say that if you can manage that together, then you will become stronger than in your wildest dreams. The strength lays in the total being greater than the sum of the parts.

Regards,

OpsN.